We had a wonderful 4th of July at our friend Lauren's loft. Her apartment complex allowed people to view the Houston firework show from their rooftop, so we loaded up the cooler and all went over there to partake in good food, great conversation, and a wonderful fireworks show. We are so thankful to have such amazing friends here in Houston.
Here is a picture of us all on the rooftop.
Here is a picture of us all on the rooftop.
Lauren, Mo, Samantha, Lindsey & Patrick...I love you all dearly. :)
Although almost the entire night was a success, there was one thing that wasn't...my "made from scratch" red velvet American Flag cake.
Now let me just say that I am NO artist! Somehow, I made the mistake of just putting 2 red stripes on it. That's right, 2. What was I thinking? It looked so ridiculous I considered not taking it at all. But I thought, well at least it will taste good since I made it from scratch...
GAG. First of all, I followed the recipe exactly, so I have no idea what went wrong. Let's just say the texture resembled a gummy bear? Strange, yes. Also strange- the cake weighted about 25-30 pounds...hmm...Thank goodness I took the first bite so that I could warn everyone. I love that everyone still tried it to be nice, but I caught them sneaking outside to spit it out. Ha! At least we had a good laugh.
Note to self: always stick to the boxed cake batter. Cheaper and actually edible. This cooking mishap falls at the top of my list, even topping my runny quiche of 2007. At least I try, right?

No comments:
Post a Comment