If you go down to the woods today, You're sure of a big surprise
If you go down to the woods today, You better go in disguise
For every bear that ever there was, Will gather there for certain because
Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic
Every teddy bear who's been good , Is sure of a treat today
There's lots of marvelous things to eat and wonderful games to play
Beneath the trees, where nobody sees They'll hide and seek as long as they please
'Cause that's the way the teddy bears have their picnic
Picnic time for teddy bears , the little teddy bears are having a lovely time today
Watch them, catch them unawares, and see them picnic on their holiday
See them gaily gad about, They love, to play and shout, they never have any cares
At six o'clock their mommies and daddies will take them home to bed
Because they're tired little teddy bears
If you go down to the woods today, You better go in disguise
For every bear that ever there was, Will gather there for certain because
Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic
Every teddy bear who's been good , Is sure of a treat today
There's lots of marvelous things to eat and wonderful games to play
Beneath the trees, where nobody sees They'll hide and seek as long as they please
'Cause that's the way the teddy bears have their picnic
Picnic time for teddy bears , the little teddy bears are having a lovely time today
Watch them, catch them unawares, and see them picnic on their holiday
See them gaily gad about, They love, to play and shout, they never have any cares
At six o'clock their mommies and daddies will take them home to bed
Because they're tired little teddy bears
I can't believe my little baby's first birthday has come and gone. We celebrated last weekend with a "Teddy Bears' Picnic" party at the neighborhood park. Growing up, I used to love the book, The Teddy Bears' Picnic. It came with the Bing Crosby song on a record in the back of the book and we used to listen to it all the time. My mom had the great idea to use the book and song as the theme for Preston's first birthday party. Here are some pictures of how it turned out.
I'll start with a picture of the birthday boy in his new car from Babsy and PaPa. He had a blast!
The invitations were done by the fabulous Loralee Lewis. Red and Turquoise became the official party colors.
The entrance to the party
A line taken from the book, "If you go out in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise" sat by the bear ears which each child was given as they arrived.
The children in their bear ears
Teddy Bear (ahem, my fantastic brother-in-law) attended the party!
The menu:
"Bear Burgers" (Hamburgers catered from Sam's Deli Diner)
"Bearies" (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries)
"Teddy's Taters" (Potato Salad)
"Teddy's Treats" (Honeycomb cereal + Teddy Grahams)
"Cub Cakes" (Sprinkles Cupcakes)

I just can't get over how many wonderful picture we have of all of the children who came to the party! Natasha at Imagery by Natasha did such a fantastic job! I can't wait to hire her again for the next event!

This photo series is priceless. He did not want to share his cake with the teddy bear!



Sprinkles had a little brown teddy bear motif which was just perfect!
The "Honey Bear Punch" was a combination of Fruit Punch and Ginger Ale.
We almost didn't have a smash cake for Preston. That's right, it was slowly melting the first 10 minutes of the party. Then I remembered we had access to a refrigerator and I salvaged it as best as I could. The cake was made by Supreme Cakes in Houston and I thought it was just precious.
All of the signage was also by Loralee Lewis. She has the best designs, hands down.
I used burlap tablecloths and borrowed some red gingham toppers from a friend. Thanks, Mrs. Dotson! I also borrowed several of the serving items from Mrs. Gatewood and some decor from my friend, Sarah. Thanks everyone!
Table Decor
I made the banner and birthday hat that decorated Preston's high chair.
Brett and my mom made the balloon arch at the entrance. They had some tired hands when they were done, but it turned out amazing!
I made a photo backdrop so that all the guests could take a picture with the birthday boy. It's a tradition I would like to keep at future birthday parties, so we can always look back and remember who came to his party each year.
I made the fabric banner by cutting triangles into the fabric and hanging with some twine. I love the way Liam is chowing down on his hamburger in this picture! Adorable!
Teddy Bear waits for the kiddos to picnic with him on his blanket.
Party favors
A sign with more words taken from the book was by the party favors..."Every teddy who's been good, is sure of a treat today." The party favor tags were by Loralee Lewis.
Each little teddy bear went home with a copy of the book, The Teddy Bears' Picnic by Jimmy Kennedy, a bag of gummy bears, and a CD full of teddy bear songs.
The CD party favors
I just can't get over how many wonderful picture we have of all of the children who came to the party! Natasha at Imagery by Natasha did such a fantastic job! I can't wait to hire her again for the next event!
This photo series is priceless. He did not want to share his cake with the teddy bear!
I guess I will have to stop telling people that I just had a baby. It feels like I just had him, but by baby boy is now ONE! Here's to many, many more! Love you, Preston.






















The party was beautiful and the pictures are amazing. The photographer did a great job. Great idea! Emily loved her party favors too. I had the Teddy bear picnic song stuck in my head for days!
ReplyDeletePreston is so cute! I love all of his little monogrammed outfits! You look great too! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is soooooo cute! I saw it on Loralee Lewis's site and was so impressed by your creativity! Love it.
ReplyDeleteWhat an ADORABLE party! I was wondering where you found the teddy bear ears?
ReplyDelete