9.15.2013

Caroline's Birth Story

She's finally here! All 9 pounds, 15 ounces of her. That's right, you read that correctly. She was an ounce shy of 10 pounds- I was way off with my prediction of her being 8.5-9 pounds! She was bigger than I thought!

It all began the morning of September 3, 2013. We decided to go ahead with an induction, because
a) It was now 3 days past my due date and b) She was just not coming on her own! After my experience with being induced with Preston I really did not want to do this again, but I really had no other choice. I had tried everything--eating spicy foods, pineapples, foot massages, walking, acupuncture, and I even went to a doula to get a "labor induction" massage which was supposed to put me into labor within 24-48 hours. Did not happen! I guess my babies just like to stay put as long as possible which really is a blessing, I suppose!

So we were scheduled to arrive at the hospital at 6 AM. We woke up at 4:15 so we could start getting ready (we live kinda far from the hospital so that's why we were up so early). Around 5:00 AM, I remembered I was supposed to call the hospital to confirm they had available beds for inductions (late summer is the busiest time to have a baby!). When I called, the staff nurse said they needed to bump me because they had 3 people in labor and were waiting to see when they would deliver. I couldn't believe it. I was worried it would not happen on this day after all, and I was mad that we got up at the crack of dawn and showered all for nothing. They told me to call back at 8 AM to see if we could come in. So we went back to sleep for a little bit. Then at 8 when I called, they said to come on in! We quickly finished getting ready, and on the bright side, we got to see Preston wake up and eat breakfast with him one last time before we were off to the hospital! Saying goodbye was emotional as you can imagine.

We arrived at the hospital around 9:15 AM. By 10:00 we were in our room with the most beautiful view of Houston. (I gave birth at the brand new Texas Children's Pavilion for Women, and let me just say my entire experience was top notch! And I'm not just saying this because I happen to work for Texas Children's :). The hospital is beautiful and the staff was incredible.) Anyways, back to the story. We had the sweetest nurse, Carrie, and she went over all medical questions with me. Around 11:15, the resident came in to check me and I was 3 cm, 50% effaced, and between a -1 and -2 station. This is about what I was a week ago at my last appointment. Shortly after, Dr. Dryden came in to say hello and said we would go ahead and start the Pitocin. It was 12:15 PM when the Pitocin drip started. I was bummed that we were off to such a slow start as I was really hoping to have the baby by the afternoon. Oh well. My family arrived soon after this and it was nice to have more company.

Once we started the Pitocin, things moved pretty slowly with my contractions. This is always the boring part of being induced. They told me we just needed to wait until I was having regular contractions and then they could come break my water. This took about 2 1/2 hours, and around 2:45 it was time to break my water. For me, this was the most painful part of the whole day. It's just an awkward feeling and I was nervous about it which caused me to shake in anticipation. They had to try twice because I couldn't relax. I was so relieved when it was finally over. For some reason, not a lot of fluids came out, and this was perplexing to the resident and nurse. At the time they broke my water, I was now 4 cm, 70% effaced, and -1 station. Making progress, but slow!

Right after, the pain and pressure of the contractions started setting in. This is how it happened both times for me, so if you are getting induced I would highly recommend to go ahead and get the epidural as soon as they break your water. It comes on quickly! That being said, the pain I had was manageable and the nurse and Brett were helpful at reminding me to breathe through it. I had about 15-20 minutes of this pain, and then...HALLELUIA! The anesthesiologist arrived at 3:45! My hero :)

Honestly, getting an epidural is the most overrated fear. There's so much worry over it but when they administer it you only feel pressure for about 3 seconds. Nurse Carrie was so great and calming me down and I just prayed my way through it. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!
Within literally seconds, my legs went numb and I felt the biggest sense of relief. It worked! Both sides this time! It is the most relaxing feeling you will ever feel. I kept telling everyone it felt like I was in a warm bubble bath. Not only did I not feel pain the rest of the day but I actually felt so relaxed and comfortable. Best. feeling. ever.

The Kummers arrived right after I got my epidural.  At 5:45 PM, Dr. Dryden came in to check me. I was still only 4 cm! So frustrating! They put an internal monitor inside me to get a better feel for the contractions so they could keep bumping up the Pitocin level appropriately. Also, Dr. Dryden had to try again to break my water because not much fluids came out the first time. They bumped my Pitocin level up to 12 this time. My parents went to dinner since things were still progressing slowly. Dr. Dryden told me she was going to leave to go grab some dinner and she would be back if I needed her. I tried to close my eyes at this time and get some rest since I wasn't in any pain or discomfort.

Around 8:00 pm, I started to feel more pressure. It wasn't exactly pain but it just felt like something I shouldn't be feeling with an epidural. I also felt a little nauseous, which I knew was a sign your body is getting closer to a 10. I told Brett I think we should ask them to check me again- I just had a weird feeling this needed to be done- quickly. They were not planning on checking me again until 9:00, but I insisted. The resident came in and when she checked, she looked at the nurse in a funny way. She said the baby was "right there" and I was about 9.5 cm, 0 station, and 100% effaced. She said we better call Dr. Dryden to come back because it was about time to push! I was seriously so excited! It was the best feeling to know I had progressed from 4 cm to 9.5 in just 2 hours! I am so glad I listened to my body and knew what signs to look for, or else perhaps Dr. Dryden wouldn't have made it back in time to deliver Caroline!

While we were waiting for Dr. Dryden to arrive, I got a special phone call from Preston, who was staying with Aunt Shea and Uncle Kyle. He said he was having fun, and asked, "Mommy, where ARE you?" I was so glad to get to hear his little voice right before I had to start pushing. Dr. Dryden arrived around 8:20. They began prepping the room for the delivery, pulling down the lights from the ceiling and all the exciting stuff that gets done right before. My sister stayed in the room when Preston was born so I had asked her to stay again and take pictures of this birth. As my mom was leaving the room and saying goodbye to me, I just had this overwhelming, spur-of-the moment, desire to have her stay too. She was so excited that I asked and I am so glad she got to witness the birth too!

Around 8:35 PM, Dr. Dryden told me I could start pushing. I pushed one time, and Dr. Dryden said, "We're about to have a baby." One or two pushes later, and out popped Ms. Caroline Grace at 8:39 PM, just 4 minutes later. It was the best moment of my life. When I had Preston, I was so drugged up that I barely even remember his birth story. This time, though, was so different. I was so alert and remember everything about it. The minute I saw her, I said, "She's so tiny!" Dr. Dryden laughed and said, "She's not tiny, she's pretty big!" ha! When they placed her in my arms, I couldn't believe how beautiful she was and that God had answered my prayers for a healthy baby girl! I also couldn't get over how much hair she had! Preston was a baldy until he was 18 months old!

Minutes later they took her away to wash her up and check her out. I heard cheering from all the nurses and they were taking bets on how big she was. All of a sudden, I heard Brett shout out, "9 pounds, 15 ounces!" I couldn't believe it. It was such an easy delivery I could have sworn she was smaller than Preston (9 pounds). The whole experience was a piece of cake. I remember looking at my mom and telling her, "I didn't even break a sweat!" I just couldn't get over it. I would even go as far to say that giving birth this time was kind of fun!

When Preston came to the hospital the next day to meet his baby sister, he could not have been any sweeter. It was the cutest he has ever looked to me. He walked in the room with the biggest smile and his arms were full of flowers (for me) and a stuffed bunny and balloon (for Caroline). He couldn't stop hugging and kissing his little sister. It was a moment I will never forget! He pulled up his chair next to my bed and when he got up and someone else tried to sit there, he would say, "NO! That's MY chair!" He didn't want anyone else to be that close to his baby sister!

We stayed at the hospital for two nights, and this was just the sweetest time and the best experience. Every nurse that cared for us was so sweet and wonderful! Even the food delivery people and the custodians who cleaned our room were so positive and full of congratulations for us! I loved getting to spend those 2 days bonding with our sweet baby girl and Brett. Something special that the hospital does is treat all moms and dads to a 3-course "celebration" dinner complete with a birthday cake for the baby and sparkling cider. We joked, Did we just have a baby in the hospital, or are we on a vacation? Another cool thing that the Pavilion for Women does... they have a newborn photographer that comes around and photographs your baby, and offers all the photos on a disc if you wish to purchase.  We also were gifted a photo session by the very talented Texas Children's photographer that I work with, Allen Kramer. That's where we got some of the great photos below.The last day I really didn't want to go home. We took our time before we got discharged later that afternoon.

I'm so in love with our sweet baby girl! I just can't stop staring at her. I never want to put her down! I'm cherishing every second because I know how fast this newborn stage goes by! Here are a few of my favorite pictures...



























2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails