2.18.2010

Our Home: Before and After Pictures-Part I {Entry Way and Powder Bath}

Since we bought our house in the middle of 2008, we renovated it completely in about 4 months, but the decorating has been a work in progress. I thought I would share some before and after pictures of the way things are shaping up.

As I was doing this, I realized that there are truly only 2 areas of my house that I am completely done with decorating. I guess decorating is always a work-in-progress, so this will be a multiple part blog entry, until I finish the downstairs, which just may be never, but at least it keeps my creative juices flowing.

Why am I so slow at this?  I'm extremely picky and I literally don't buy anything unless I truly feel in love with it. I just feel it's a waste of money if you are simply settling on something because you can't find anything better. So I hold out for the perfect piece of furniture, accessory, or whatever, even if it takes me years to find it.

Here are my 2 finished areas:

Entry Way
The first thing we did was replace all the floors downstairs and up the stairs with maple wood flooring. It was too choppy before and almost every room downstairs had different flooring. We tore down the chair railing in the entry for a more modern look and painted the entire downstairs (Shermin Williams: Nomadic Desert). We put in new taller baseboards (4 in.) all downstairs. The old stair railing was torn out and replaced with a black wrought iron design. I brought in a sisal runner from Pottery Barn and found this great traditional entry piece from The Accessory Place in Houston. Mirror is Horchow, Crystal Lamp is TJ Maxx, White Hydrangeas (my favorite in any room) are from Pottery Barn and my 2 favorite coffee table books--Rooms to Inspire and Carolina Herrera from Amazon. Lastly, we hung a few of our favorite personal wedding pictures up the stairs to personalize the space.

Powder Bathroom
This was one terrible "before," but one of my favorite "afters." The powder bath and the kitchen needed new tile, and we chose a porcelain tile (color: Allison Beige). The wallpaper is by Thibaut (Wallpapers to Go carries it) and this is basically what set the color scheme for the entire downstairs. We tore out the entire sink and vanity area and bought a designer vanity with a black granite top and copper sink from Houston Lighting. The mirror is something I bought years ago from The Bombay Co (I miss that place) and just happened to work perfectly for this space. The white tulips are from restoration hardware (one of my favorite stores) and the white lace hand towel is from Bering's in Houston. You can't see it in the picture but we also painted the ceiling of this bathroom a metallic gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails