11.28.2010

What's Going On?

1-5 weeks old: Preston had last feeding at 10 pm, slept til 4 am when he woke up to eat, then slept til 7 am. (Only woke up once in the middle of the night, even as a newborn.)

5-6 weeks old: Preston slept through the night. Hallelujia! For seven days straight! Thought I was in the clear...

{Went on first overnight trip}

6-8 weeks old: Preston has last feeding at 10 pm, wakes up at 2 am AND wakes up at 4:30 am. Now consistently wakes up TWICE in middle of the night and Mom is T.I.R.E.D! We are all only getting 2.5-3 hour stretches of sleep.

Other moms, help! Why is his sleeping getting progressively worse? Growth Spurt? Did his first overnight trip throw him off? When did your babies finally start sleeping through the night for good? Advice?

I am following Babywise to a T. and the book says by the end of the eighth week, most babies are sleeping through the night. Not happening. The only good news is that at least he is going right back to sleep after his middle of the night feedings. Thank goodness!

Help before I turn into a zombie!



8 comments:

  1. Hate to break it to you, but a 6 hour stretch of sleep at his age is considering sleeping through the night! Wa Wa! I don't think these 2 feedings will last long in the middle of the night, I bet it's a growth spurt. Holt's been waking up every night for the past 5 nights sometimes just crying for a bit and sometimes eating. Just like a newborn again...and he's 4 months old. It's going to be inconsistent the entire first year...wait for teething to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shea's right, 6 hours is considered a "full night's sleep." Knox would have weeks where he'd sleep 10 hours a night, then go right back to up every 3 hours needing to feed. He's 7 months old and still will wake up every once in a while wanting to eat. Growth spurts...and now we get to look forward to teething. Hang in there, and consider weeks 1-6 a blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All 3 of my kids did that too! Bummer! Yes, I do think a growth spurt. It's hard I know, good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Amy! I can totally relate. I swear the girls did the same thing - we were waking them up for feedings and then they "woke up"... it's probably a combination of growth spurt, being more aware of his surroundings and even that trip. The girls had been sleeping so well and then we went to Dallas and bam. Waking up at 2am. After a few days I decided their "clock was stuck" - so I would just go in, pat them, put the paci back in and then they'd fall back asleep without having to eat. After about five days they slept through that 2am time... One last thing - I notice that the longer the girls sleep in the day and the earlier they go to bed, the longer they sleep at night. I know it sounds strange, but it's true - I read that in Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child. You can borrow the book if you want - we've combined that with Baby Wise and the girls are sleeping 11 hours. Email me if you have any other questions. :) Good luck - you are doing a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with Jean. Sleeping more means more sleep. I've lived by that with both boys. I'd try to not feed during the middle and see if that works. Even if you have to pick him up and hold him for a but. If you are still breast feeding, then maybe it's a job for Brett if you seem to make him hungry. Good luck and don't give in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks eveyone! Last night he made it until 4 again, so at least he just woke up once. We decided that it might also have something to do with the fact that I stopped giving him pumped breastmilk for that last 10:00 feeding, and let him breastfeed. We feel like when he gets the pumped milk later at night, it is a fuller feeding and his full belly lets him sleep longer. Maybe just gives me peace of mind knowing that he took 4 ounces. So, we did that again last night and it worked. I also agree with everything everyone posted! I know 6 hours is considered a full night's sleep, but since his feeding is at 10, he really doesn't get to bed til closer to 11...He's close though! Thanks for all the tips! {Also...Mylicon works wonders! We had stopped giving him that at night, and maybe that had something to do with it.}

    ReplyDelete
  7. A tip I just learned...put Mylicon IN the bottle, every time. Just a few drops takes all the bubbles out and will stop the gas while he's eating, instead of after. And I agree with the girls...more sleep means more sleep. We noticed at around 3 months he wasn't getting enough sleep during the days. He still (at 7 months) takes at least 3 naps a day. Hang in there...I PROMISE it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Jean too. More sleep definitely means more sleep. Anything that throws them off their schedule can cause a change. I know that Gabe was sleeping around 9 hours at Preston's age, but then he just figured out that I would come in anytime he put up a fuss. Finally at 5 months and waking up anywhere from 2-5 times a night we had to let him cry it out, and it worked. It was really hard though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails