You know the scene in Father of the Bride 2 when Franc opens the nursery to reveal the finished project to George Banks? I always tear up at that part, because it's just such a sweet moment when everything comes together after months of planning. That's exactly how I felt today. It was emotional to finally see the room finished after dreaming about it and planning for so long. I finally feel like I can tell Preston, "Ok, anytime you want to come now we are all ready for you." Finally.
The Father of the Bride nursery definitely served as an inspiration to me when planning Preston's nursery. It's so sweet and classic.
#1... Classic {My style is all classic; I am a traditionalist so I was striving for a timeless and sweet look that could possibly lean towards gender-neutral.}
#2...Serene and Calming {I want to enjoy the room while I'm in there and not feel like it is overly cluttered.}
#3...No "theme" {I just wanted to fill it with things that were special. I framed and hung 4 Peter Rabbit prints because I used to love Peter Rabbit as a child and we always had bunny rabbits as pets growing up; I used a mirror and frame that belonged to my grandmother; the clothes hanger is from my nursery when I was a baby}
#4...I wanted it to have a french look because of my love for all things french. {The cane crib panels achieve that look, along with the french dresser and little french toy basket.}
Ok, so on to the big reveal...
Sneak peak from when you first open the door...
Ta da...and here it is.
The right side of the room includes the dresser/changing table and glider and ottomon. I chose to not have drapes for now, because when Preston gets old enough to pull on the fabric above the bed, we plan to remove it and use it as curtains. Plus it would have been too much to have curtians and the bed crown fabric.
Now for some closer looks...
This weekend we picked up this hanging shelf up at an old antique store. My mom, sister and I searched all day for the perfect shelf, and alas, we found it. From the moment we laid eyes on it we knew it was perfect. The distressed look matched all of the other furniture in the room, and it was the perfect shape and size. We ordered in for dinner Saturday night and probably spent 4 hours arranging all of the cute little things on the shelves. That was the fun part!
This other little shelf hangs behind the glider. I wanted something to display cute little outfits on. The outfit on the left is from my sister and will be his "coming home" outfit, and the Ralph Lauren sweater on the right is from my sweet friend Jacquelyn. Isn't it adorable?! She also gave me the matching RL shoes on top and the brown teddy bear. Oh, and we plan to replace this "K" with a "P." It's from Hobby Lobby, believe it or not, but I have to go to the Katy store to get the "P" tomorrow because our location was sold out.
This antique mirror belonged to my grandmother, Nanie. It was hanging in her house when my mom was a little girl. It was a brassy gold color, so we had it painted cream with blue flowers on top. I love having something so special in Preston's nursery. If only Nanie was still around, she would be so happy and excited that we were using it!
View of the glider that I ordered from Doodles. Ok, so not everything can be old and special, but this sure is comfy! I loved the graceful lines on it, and it is slipcovered so it will be easy to clean when we have our first accident on it. I picked up the bunny pillow at Olivine, a favorite french store of mine in Rice Village. The blanket was a gift from my sister.
I found this french toy basket at a little store in Dallas on Knox Street. I thought it would add a unique touch to the nursery, instead of just buying one from Pottery Barn or such. Right now it's filled with a lamb floor mat from Preston's Grandma Kummer, and the boppy and slipcover from Pottery Barn.
A look at the chandalier. I love it.
Here are the four framed Beatrix Potter prints. I just love Peter Rabbit. I ordered the prints from Encore Editions.
This frame also belonged to my grandmother, Nanie. It was also gold but again we had it painted cream and distressed it, and then we covered the background in a blue velvet dot fabric that I fell in love with. I put a picture of Winston in it until we have Preston's newborn photos. Winston is very excited to be a BIG BROTHER!
View inside the crib. I monogrammed the end panel of his bumpers. I tend to like white-on-white monogramming so it's not so obvious. If we use these bumpers for our next child, I can just flip it around and re-monogram it on the reverse side.
We found these old block letters at the same antique store we found the shelf at. {If you live in Memorial, it's the one next door to TJ Maxx near Memorial Drive Methodist...Great stuff there!} Anyways, I thought they were super cute and we sat on the floor and dug out all the letters to spell out his name.
My mom gave me this little book a few years ago, and inside she wrote the following message: "Poor old Mister Rogers got a bad reputation for being 'nerdy' but I always liked his simple messages-that's why I always encouraged my little girls to watch him." I thought it was a perfect book to display on Preston's bookshelf.
I displayed a cute little pair of his boat shoes on the shelf. Oh, and they squeak. How precious are they! They were a gift from my mom.
View of his mobile. I liked the little animals on this one. It was a gift from my sister.
This adorable stuffed giraffe was a gift from my sweet friend, Katherine. I think it totally makes the room! The clothes hanger was actually in my nursery when I was a baby. My mom brought it over the other day and it just worked.

A peak into his closet that his daddy installed for him.
Lots of seersucker bubble outfits. Love this one from my great friend, Abby!
We're all stocked up on blankets and toys!
Last view of the crib from a side angle. The bed crown is from Horchow and I chose to get the "K" for Kummer so we can use it for future children, or maybe in a guest room one day. The bedding fabric is silk dupioni and called "Marais Stripe" in Ciel by Kravet Couture. The lamb hanging on the side was a gift from my close friend, Katie. It's so sweet.
I am so excited {and relieved} to be done! We had so much fun with it though, and it was really special that my sister came in town this weekend to help us put all the finishing touches on the room. These are times I will always remember! It really is such a joy to prepare for the birth of your first child! I just can't wait to bring him home, and I can't believe it could be in less than 18 days!
I have to leave you with a few cute pictures of Winston.
This is before we had the crib. Brett and I were sitting in the room talking, and Winston just hopped right onto the palace, thinking the bed was for him. I swear, he has such good taste!
He really wanted to be in this one frame of pictures today too. Sometimes I tell him to move, but he seriously likes being in pictures.
He is really proud of the room too.
And Brett? Well, he's just like George Banks. He didn't like how much of a perfectionist I was being about finding the "perfect everything," and he was worried I would spend too much money, but in the end, when he saw the finished product, I think it really struck a chord with him. He said it was "absolutely beautiful" and it was worth all of the effort. Aww.


























Looks SO great Amy! Jackson has the same "J" from Hobby Lobby! Too fun!!!
ReplyDeleteAmy it is so precious and special!!! I love the family touch! My grandmothers are so close to my heart and I just love how you have them apart of his room....It is looks just amazing!!! And sooo "Blonde Amy!!!"
ReplyDeleteLove you lots!!!
I am in LOVE with it!!! You have done a WONDERFUL job. I am so happy I was there this past weekend- what fun special times! Now, Hurry up Mr. Preston- Your Aunt CANT wait to get a hold of you!!!
ReplyDeleteAmy - you have outdone yourself!! And I can attest it's even more beautiful in person! :) Can't wait to see baby Preston in that crib!
ReplyDeleteIt is so ELEGANT Amy! You did a great job, fit for a Prince:) I can't wait for his arrival soon!!!!
ReplyDeleteVery pretty, Amy...like Paige said -
ReplyDeleteFit for Prince Preston!
Good luck in the next few days before the big day!
=)
Wow! It's beautiful. So perfect for the beautiful baby boy you are going to bring home!
ReplyDeleteLOVE , LOVE, LOVE it! Can't wait to meet Preston!!!
ReplyDeleteYour nursery is so beautiful! I love everything about it!
ReplyDeleteAmy, some of the sweetest moments of your life will happen in this room.... Love, Mom
ReplyDeleteOMG What a beautiful nursery.
ReplyDeleteThat nursery is absolutely divine! I'm drooling over here! I can tell you really put a lot of thought into every detail. We have the same giraffe too:)
ReplyDeleteHi Amy,
ReplyDeleteThis nursery is stunning. Father of the Bride is one of my favorite movies and I'm so excited you picked up on how great the nursery looked in it! Frahnk would be so proud.
I'd love to feature this at Baby Lifestyles and do an interview with you about it. Please email me at editor at babylifestyles dot com to discuss further if you're interested.
Did you have the ruffle and bupper made? I would love this for my baby boys room. This bedding is exactly what I was looking for. I would love more information on who made it for you if you don't mind. You can send it to angelasessions@gmail.com. Thank you so much!
ReplyDeleteYour room is stunning. I love it! Can I ask where you purchased the baby bed?
ReplyDeleteThank you,
Kate
kategraeve@gmail.com