2.09.2011

Food for Thought

My mom recently told me she saw a special on the news regarding white rice cereal and a link to childhood obesity, so I did some research to educate myself on what this was all about. Turns out, there is a whole campagn led by Dr. Alan Greene, a pediatrician at Stanford University, to remove all white rice cereal from our grocery store shelves, and instead turn to whole grain rice cereal for baby's first introduction to solids. His theory is that by introducing our babies to white rice cereal, we are predisposing them to prefer whites over whole grains later in life.

Watch the video and see what you think.





I have to say, Greene's theory kind-of makes sense. I mean, I plan on serving whole grains in my household, so why even introduce white bread in the first place? However, I also think that childhood obesity is due to a lot of other factors as well and that this campaign may be a tad sensational, but...there is no downside to giving Preston whole grain rice cereal, so I think I may as well do that. It can't hurt. We are starting him on rice cereal this weekend, so this issue is very relevant to me right now.

What do you think?





5 comments:

  1. We started P with organic whole grain, multigrain at first but warning...after some Fussiness and irritability we took her off. According to our Pedi, the whole grain being introduced first is too harsh on their tummies, that's why they prefer single grain. Plus, it's the least common of allergies. So yes, we are on single grain white now...and P is doing much better. I plan on trying the best I can to do organic when we introduce other solids. My thought is that surely being on white a few weeks can't hurt them, and I feel like the older they get the food choices/activity level will be the biggest factor:) Just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are on the good old fashioned Gerber, but the one with DHA and probiotics to help ease the tummy... and have had no constipation issues:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I read this! Thanks for sharing girls, rice cereal is just around the corner for us and this was so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holt is on the Happy Bellies Organic brown rice. From my understanding, it is brown rice instead of white rice, nothing about whole grain or anything. He has done fine with that. It's peas that make his tummy gassy. I agree though. I eat brown rice over white, so it makes sense to introduce that for him. Solids are a whole new world! Can't wait to see you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preston looks so cute! Street is almost the exact same size...just a bigger head! My opinion is that kids are going to love Mac and cheese and donuts no matter what they are fed from the beginning. It is our job as parents to make sure they get the good stuff most of the time and then not worry about the junk they get every now and then!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails