5.05.2010

These are a few of my favorite things

I thought I would do a post on my favorite things...when it comes to decorating. Below are my top 10 favorite elements of style when it comes to design. I decided on these 10 by looking through all of my saved photos on my desktop of my favorite rooms, and then finding the common themes in all the pictures. These 10 elements were in almost every picture...

10. Coral--
Notice the coral accents on the table to the left.
Always adds a certain freshness to a room



9. Seagrass Rugs-
Though not the most comfortable option for a rug, definitely the most cost effective and still gives the room that "pulled together" look. I especially love when it is custom cut to fit a room's dimensions.


8. Mirrored pieces--
so glamorous, I was on this trend from the beginning...



7. White Flowers--
White peonies, white hydrangeas, white orchids...all add a beautiful touch to any room!



6. A fabulous chandalier--
Crystal, wraught iron, I love them all!



5. White Carerra Marble kitchen tops
I am mad at myself for not putting this in our current kitchen. I almost did...but I chickened out and put the "safer" choice that I had seen a million times...granite. My next house I am definitely going to copy this kitchen below.



4. Painted bookcases
So fun and colorful...
3. Crisp white sofas
I just love them! Maybe a risky choice for owning pets and having children, but I would rather take that risk than sacrifice personal style.





2. Upholstered Headboards
So tailored and pretty, I wish I had a house full of rooms with upholstered headboards.




1. Big, billowy silk drapes--
silk + heavilly lined + double panel + puddling on the floor=perfection

Funny story: When I graduated from TCU, I was in the middle of signing a lease on my first apartment in Dallas when I got the call that I was accepted into the masters program for marketing at Texas A&M. I had to make a decision that night what I was going to do with my future...move to Dallas as planned (and continue looking for a job there), or go to grad school in college station. My mom was in town and we decided to grab dinner and go to the mall to take a break from the stressful decision making process. While at the mall, I found the most beautiful pair of robins egg blue silk drapes. As silly as this sounds, I knew right away that I wanted to stay in Dallas so I could use these drapes in my new apartment. No way these drapes would fit in in College Station! Falling in love with the drapes was a sign to me that I should stay in Dallas. Thank goodness I did...because I met my husband Brett that summer! (If we have a boy, those same drapes will be used in his nursery--they are very special to me)...For this reason, I had to make this my #1 favorite element of design...




Hope you enjoyed these photos as much as I do. They always inspire me every time I look at them. I think it is important to fill your home with all of your favorite things!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails