See that fireplace back there. Looks like a fireplace, right? Wrong. It was actually an extra layer of sheetrock, wallpapered in a fake brick pattern to appear like a fireplace. Ick. The first thing we did to this room was tear that down. Brett personally took a sledgehammer to it, and enjoyed it a whole lot. Then we opened up the entrance to the room and arched the top. We also opened up a big archway between this room and the main living room, tore out the old carpet, put in new baseboards, and put in hardwood flooring.
This picture was taken right after we first moved in, and it was Christmastime. We barely had any furniture to fill the space. We also didn't have any rugs yet. Although the room appears so cold and empty, the house was full of love and excitement as we were so excited to be in our first new home together.
Here is another view, from the main living room looking in. I think the room stayed like this (minus the Christmas tree) for about 6 months as I gradually bought all the pieces I needed to fill the space.
And here is the room today...
The finished result.
I was planning on recovering the 2 chairs (They were my grandmother's) but now I am not so sure that I need to. At least not now. Plus, the fabric reminds me of when I was a little girl and visiting her house, so it would be sad to see it go.
Here are my sources for the room: Rug, Williams Sonoma Home; Coffee Table, Gold/black lamp, and Gold geometric vases (atop the buffet),Horchow; Mirrored Buffet, Z Gallerie (It's the exact same one in the Horchow catalogue but Z-Gallerie's was much cheaper.) Painting above buffet, Ballard Designs; Gold Silk Drapes, The Silk Trading Co; Blue antique mirror, Memorial Antiques and Interiors; White sofa, an oldie but a goodie from Star Furniture; Chairs, Belonged to Grandmother
Close up of the pillows.
View from the front door.


No comments:
Post a Comment